Saturday, May 23, 2009

Taste & Create - Magic in the Middles


This month's Taste and Create dish is so delicious! My partner for Taste and Create was Natalie of What's for Supper? I had a fun time perusing through her blog looking at all her delicious recipes. She has lots of fabulous looking desserts especially. There are several recipes that I found on her blog that I would like to make (such as Jewel Roasted Vegetables which she and her husband didn't enjoy but had me totally drooling).

The recipe I chose was Magic in the Middles, fun-looking chocolate cookies with a peanut butter surprise inside. Zaylee and I tied on our aprons and baked these up this afternoon. She enjoyed helping Mommy by stirring the dry ingredients, and helping to flatten the cookies with a glass. She especially enjoyed repeatedly sampling the peanut butter filling and the finished cookies!


Magic in the Middles
DOUGH:
1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (I snuck in a half cup of whole wheat flour)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar (plus extra for dipping)
½ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg

FILLING:
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
¾ cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

Prepare dough: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another medium bowl, beat together sugars, butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, beating to combine, then stir in dry ingredients, blending well.

Prepare filling: In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth. With floured hands, roll the filling into 26 one-inch balls (I skipped this step, and just spooned in the filling in the next step. In hindsight, it would have been easier to shape the cookies with balls of filling instead of spoonfuls, so don't skip this step).

Shape cookies: Break off about 1 Tbsp. of the dough, make an indentation in the center with your finger, and press one of the peanut butter balls into the indentation. Bring the dough up and over the filling, pressing it closed; roll the cookie in the palms of your hand to smooth it out. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Dip the top of each cookie in granulated sugar and place on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Grease the bottom of a drinking glass and use it to flatten each cookie to about ½-inch-thick (Due to overeager helping, some of the peanut butter squished out the sides of some of the cookies. Merely an aesthetic issue - they still tasted great).

Bake cookies for 7 to 9 minutes, until they're set. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack (I discovered that mine worked better when I let them sit on the baking sheet for a couple minutes before removing to a rack. They were too soft at first and needed to harden a bit).

Yield: About 26 cookies (Mine made 33 with more peanut butter filling left over)


All in all, I was very pleased with having chosen this recipe. These delicious cookies are lightly crispy on the outside edges, and soft and chewy inside. The chocolate and peanut butter flavors complement each other very well, neither overpowers the other. Super delicious cookies! They were quite a bit more work than I tend to go for in cookies, but it was lots of fun with Zaylee to help me.

7 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Ooooo...what a fun surprise in the middle! :)

Marisa said...

Yum!!!!!!!!

Kimmie said...

I LOVE your past 3 recipes and I can't wait to try them out. The Lime Pie and Toffee look yummy as well as these cookies.

I have a similar cookie recipe on my Blog, that has chocolate chips in it, however, you can leave out the chocolate chips and wrap the dough around a ROLO and it makes a caramel centered cookie.

BTW...congratulations on your pregnancy. That is SO exciting!

Looking forward to reading about your cheesecake recipe when you post it!

Have a great weekend!

What's for Supper? said...

I am glad that you picked these. I made them around Christmas time if I remember correctly. They were good though. There are several recipes that I plan on trying from your blog yet.

Again...that Lucky Chicken was FANTASTIC. Even if I didn't win the lottery that night. And will be made again soon.

Thanks Partner!

Katy ~ said...

I saw these on Taste & Create and they looked so good; they also look so good here, and I'm thinking they'll be sooooo good at my house!

Shelby said...

These look so yummy! I made peanut butter cookies for T&C too!

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe for these, too. I seem to always have peanut butter filling left over! Last time I spread it out on a plate and put some melted chocolate chips on top then refrigerated it, and we cut off little pieces to eat. These cookies are a lot of work, but worth it every once in a while.